About Dairy Farmers of Manitoba
Established in 1974, Dairy Farmers of Manitoba is responsible for:
- managing the supply of milk in the province
- selling milk from Manitoba dairy farmers to processors and scheduling its transportation
- representing the interests of Manitoba dairy farmers at the provincial and national level
- developing and implementing advertising and promotional programs for fluid milk and real cream, and
- delivering nutrition and dairy agriculture education programs.
All dairy farms in the province are family-owned and operated. Manitoba dairy farmers finance the organization
and elect a nine-member board of directors comprised of dairy farmers. The board determines the direction and policies
of the organization.
Dairy farmers in the province – and across the country – operate under the supply management system.
This system enables dairy farmers to carefully match the supply of milk they produce to meet the needs of Canadian consumers.
In addition to promoting the steady production of high quality milk and encouraging the consumption of local products,
the supply management system benefits farmers, government, processors, and consumers. Dairy farmers receive a fair and
stable price for their milk and rely on the market to make a living – without depending on government funding or subsidies.
Processors receive a steady supply of high quality milk at a fair price to manufacture into dairy products – and consumers
have access to a wide variety of high quality dairy products at reasonable and stable prices.
¡ Return to Organization Home
¡ Return to Dairy Farmers of Manitoba Home