Established in 1974, Dairy Farmers of Manitoba is responsible for:
- Managing the supply of milk in the province.
- Selling milk from Manitoba dairy farms to processors and scheduling its transportation.
- Representing the interests of Manitoba dairy farmers at the provincial and national level.
- Developing and implementing advertising and promotional programs for fluid milk and real cream.
- Delivering nutrition and dairy agriculture education programs.
All dairy farms in the province are family-owned and operated. Manitoba dairy farmers finance the organization and elect a nine-member board of directors composed of dairy farmers. The board determines the direction and policies of the organization.