- By Meal
- By Category
- See Also
- Prep Time :
- Cook Time :
- 2 Tbsp (30 mL) butter
- 1 cup (~1 cup/250 mL) onion, halved and sliced
- 2 cloves garlic, minced
- 2 cups (500 mL) zucchini, cut into ¼
- 1 can (250 mL) sliced mushrooms
- 4 eggs
- 2 cups (500 mL) milk
- 1 Tbsp (15 mL) Dijon mustard or honey mustard
- 1 tsp (5 mL) dried basil (OR 1 Tbsp minced fresh basil)
- ¼ tsp (1 mL) pepper
- 6 (1.5 L) rye bread, cut into 1-inch (2.5 cm) pieces (~10 slices of bread)
- 2 cups (500 mL) diced cooked farmer sausage (350 g)
- 1 cup (250 mL) shredded Canadian Cheddar Cheese, divided
- ½ cup (125 mL) cherry tomatoes, halved
Great Tastes of Manitoba 2016-17
Grease a 13 x 9-inch (3 L) baking dish.
In a large sauce pan, over medium heat, melt butter then sauté onions, garlic, zucchini and mushrooms until soft, about 10 minutes.
In a large bowl, whisk eggs until blended; whisk in milk, mustard, basil and pepper. Place cubed bread into another large bowl. To the bread add zucchini and mushroom mixture, farmer sausage, ½ cup (125 mL) cheese and toss gently to combine. Pour milk and egg mixture over bread mixture and mix to combine. Spread in prepared baking dish. Evenly distribute tomato halves over the dish. Sprinkle with remaining cheese. Cover and refrigerate for 6 hrs or for up to 1 day.
To serve, preheat oven to 350°F (180°C).
Uncover baking dish and bake for about 30-45 minutes or until puffed and a knife inserted in the centre comes out clean. Let stand for 5-10 min before serving.
To make individual portion Manitoba Strata Muffins for recipe and directions, click here
Per Serving: 27 g protein;
340 mg (34% DV) calcium;
478 calories; 27 g fat; 31 g carbohydrate; 4.2 g fibre; 900 mg sodium
While it is best to refrigerate overnight to give the bread time to absorb the milk and egg mixture, this recipe still turns out great if cooked immediately. To cook immediately, allow the combined ingredients to sit 15 minutes prior to baking.