- By Meal
- By Category
- See Also
Taco Rice Skillet
- Prep Time :
- Cook Time :
- 1 lb (0.5 Kg) lean ground beef
- 1 small onion, chopped
- 1 red pepper, chopped
- 1 can (540 mL) black beans, drained and rinsed
- 1 can (341 mL) corn
- 1 pkg (35 g) low sodium taco seasoning
- 1 tsp (5 mL) minced garlic
- 1/2 tsp (2 mL) salt
- 1 can (398 mL) diced tomatoes with juice
- 1 cup (250 mL) milk
- 1/2 cup (125 mL) low sodium chicken broth (or water)
- 3/4 cup (175 mL) long grain brown rice
- 1 cup (250 mL) shredded cheddar cheese
- fresh tomatoes, avocado, sour cream, cilantro, taco chips
In a large skillet, brown ground beef with onions and peppers over medium-high heat. Drain any fat left behind.
Add the beans, corn taco seasoning, garlic and salt and cook for 1-2 minutes over medium heat.
Stir in tomatoes, milk, chicken broth and rice. Bring to a simmer over medium heat, then cover and reduce to low heat.
Simmer, covered, for 20 minutes or until rice is tender, stirring once.
Remove from the heat and let sit for 5 minutes. Stir in cheese and serve with optional toppings as desired.
Got leftovers? Wrap them up in a flour tortilla with additional toppings and shredded cheese for an on-the-go lunch.